- Math 1550: Introduction to Differential Calculus
3 credits, only for Summer Freshmen, covers the material from Math 1551 plus some precalculus.
- Math 1551: Differential Calculus
2 credits, replaces the first 1/2 of Math 1501.
- Math 1552: Integral Calculus
4 credits, replaces the last 1/2 of Math 1501 and the first 1/3 of Math 1502.
- Math 1553: Introduction to Linear Algebra
2 credits, replaces the last 2/3 of Math 1502.
- Math 1554: Linear Algebra
4 credits, similar to Math 1553 with more material and more contact hours.
- Math 1564: Linear Algebra with Abstract Vector Spaces
4 credits, a challenging course covering the material from Math 1554 plus abstract vector spaces, suitable for Math, Physics, and CS majors and motivated students.
- Math 2550: Introduction to Multivariable Calculus
2 credits, replaces 1/2 of Math 2401.
- Math 2551: Multivariable Calculus
4 credits, replaces Math 2401.
- Math 2552: Differential Equations
4 credits, replaces Math 2403.
- Math 2561: Honors Multivariable Calculus
4 credits, replaces Math 2411.
- Math 2562: Honors Differential Equations
4 credits, replaces Math 2413.
All four credit hour courses meet three hours with the instructor and have two recitations with a teaching assistant per week.
Math 1551 is two credit hour and meets three times with the instructor per week (with no recitation). Math 1553 and Math 2550 are two credit hour and meet two times with the instructor and once for recitation with a teaching assistant per week.
Policies & Recommendations
- Students are not permitted to register for more than 4 credits of core mathematics classes in one semester during Phase I of registration and the beginning of Phase II of registration. This restriction is lifted at noon on Friday before classes start.
- It is strongly recommended that students accept credit and placement for their AP courses.
- Your major advisor will recommend the linear algebra course (1553/1554/1564) best suited for your degree path
- Math 1564 is only recommended for students with a 5 on the BC Calculus exam or at least a B in 1552.
- It is recommended that students take 1550 or 1554 in the summer as opposed to taking 1551+1553 in one semester.
|Fresh. Summer||Fresh. Fall||Fresh. Spring||Soph. Summer||Soph. Fall||Soph. Spring|
|No placement credit||Option 1: Summer Calculus||1550||1552||1554 / 1564||2551||2551|
|Option 2: Summer Lin. Alg.||1551||1552||1554||2551||2552|
|Option 3: Not recommended||1551 + 1553||1552||2551||2552|
|Placement credit for Math 1551*||1552||1554/1564||2551||2552|
|Placement credit for Math 1551 and 1552**||1554/1564||2551||2552|
*requires 4 or 5 on the AP Calculus AB exam, a School of Math placement exam, or equivalent.
**requires a 4 or 5 on the AP Calculus BC exam, a School of Math placement exam, or equivalent.
Note: Linear Algebra (1553/1554/1564) can be taken at any time with respect to the basic Calculus sequence (1551 and 1552).
Contact the School of Mathematics Academic Office: email@example.com