SoM Awards Best of 2019
For graduate students the Best of 2019 awards were:
- Top Graduate Student:
- Marcel Celaya,
- Best TA:
- Alex Hoyer,
- Best PhD Thesis:
- Chi Ho Yuen,
- FESTA Fellowship:
- Stephen McKean,
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship:
- Sarah Collins and Michael Wigal.
- SIAM Students Chapter Certificate of Recognition
- Jiaqi Yang
For outstanding TAs the awards were:
- Outstanding Undergraduate TA:
- Talha Khawaja and Wilson Ly
- Outstanding Math Lab Tutor:
- Marc Harkoenen and Jorge Viquez
- Outstanding Student Evaluations:
- For Spring 2018 - James Anderson, Catherine Chen, Sally Collins, Kisun Lee, and Shu Liu.
- For Fall 2018 - Diego Granizo, Jarad Hosking, Stephen McKean, Jack Olinde, and Jad Salem.
The CTL Awards 2019
The Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) Awards for 2019 are:
SoM Graduate Student Instructor of the Year: Marcel Celaya
SoM Graduate Teaching Assistant of the Year: Hangfan (Frank) Li
The institute-wide teaching award went to one of SoM's UTA's (Undergraduate Teaching Assistant) as well.
CTL and SoM Undergraduate Teaching Assistant of the Year: Sebastian Fernandez
Sebastian was also featured in a news article for his online MATH 2552 Video Series on YouTube.
There were several SoM undergraduates recognized in the CoS awards as well:
- Mathilda Avirett-Mackenzie, a recent graduate with a B.S. in Physics and a B.S. in Mathematics, is the recipient of the A. Joyce Nickelson and John C. Sutherland Prize.
- Steven Creech, a third-year mathematics major with a concentration in pure mathematics, is the recipient of the Mehta Phingbodhipakkiya Undergraduate Memorial Scholarship.
- Daniel Gurevich, a third-year triple major in mathematics, physics, and industrial and systems engineering won the Roger M. Wartell, Ph.D., and Stephen E. Brosette, M.D., Ph.D. Award for Multidisciplinary Studies in Biology, Physics, and Mathematics.