One College of Sciences student is a rising fourth-year, but she spent some of her non-research hours helping incoming first year students navigate the newness of Georgia Tech. Another became the Georgia Tech hockey team’s first woman player in school history. (Yes, Georgia Tech has a hockey team.) Yet another is helping a professor build an organic meteor database.
The six College of Sciences students honored for end-of-school-year awards and scholarships offer a wide variety of accomplishments. Join us in congratulating these winners of the 2021 College of Sciences Student Awards:
2021 A. Joyce Nickelson and John C. Sutherland Undergraduate Research Award
Presented to a student studying physics and mathematics.
Endowment gift of Jen Nickelson and John Sutherland.
- Graduating Spring 2021, Physics and Mathematics double major
- Research with Zhigang Jiang and Carlos Sá de Melo, School of Physics
- “Landau quantization in tilted Weyl semimetals with broken symmetry,"Journal of Applied Physics 129, 105107 (2021).
- Presented research at American Physical Society, March 2021
2021 Roger M. Wartell and Stephen E. Brossette Award
Presented to a student who studies at the physics/math-biology interface. Endowment gift of Stephen Brossette.
- Rising fourth year student, Chamblee Charter High School graduate
- Biology major
- Research with Brian Hammer, School of Biological Sciences, and Peter Yunker, School of Physics.
- “Glucose confers protection to Escherichia coli against contact killing by Vibrio cholera,” Sci. Rep. 2021, 11, 2935.
- PLUS (Peer-Led Undergraduate Study) leader, intro to physics; teaching assistant, evolutionary biology; GT1000 team leader
2021 Robert A. Pierotti Memorial Scholarship
Presented to a top graduating senior in the College. Endowment gift of the family and friends of former dean Robert Pierotti
- Chattahoochee High School
- Mathematics and Computer Science double major
- Research with Lutz Warnke, School of Mathematics – “Prague dimension of random graphs,” arXiv: 2011.09459v1
- Research with Prasad Tetali, Schools of Mathematics and Computer Science – “Markov Chain-Based Sampling for Exploring RNA Secondary Structure…” Math. Comput. Appl. 2020, 25, 67.
- Runner-up, Love Family Foundation Scholarship
2021 Mehta Phingbodhipakkiya Memorial Scholarship
Presented to a top junior in the College of Sciences. Endowment gift of Maranee Phing
- South Forsyth High School graduate
- Biochemistry major
- Research with Amanda Stockton, School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, to develop an organic meteorite database
- Works with Loren Williams in Georgia Tech’s Center for the Origin of Life (COOL)
2021 Virginia C. and Herschel V. Clanton Jr. Scholarship
Presented to a top pre-medical student in the College of Sciences.
Endowment gift of Herschel V. Clanton.
- Mountain View High School, Lawrenceville, graduate
- Biology major
- Research with Frank Rosenzweig, School of Biological Sciences
- Studying the integration of nutrient-sensing and pheromone-sensing pathways in Saccharomyces cerevisiae
- Ambassador, Stamps Health Services; Biology Student Advisory Council
2021 Cynthia L. Bossart and James Efron Scholarship
Presented to a top out-of-state junior in the College of Sciences.
Endowment gift of Cynthia Bossart and James Efron.
- Rising third year student from Eagan, Minnesota
- Physics major
- Research with Daniel Goldman, School of Physics
- Presented “Centipede Locomotion on Complex Terrain,” American Physical Society, 2021; and Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology, 2021
- “Tech Hockey adds first ever female player to roster,” Technique, September 18, 2019
For More Information Contact
Renay San Miguel
Communications Officer II/Science Writer
College of Sciences