- Geometry Topology Student Seminar
- Wednesday, December 1, 2021 - 2:00pm for 1 hour (actually 50 minutes)
- Skiles 006 (also in BlueJeans)
- Sierra Knavel – Georgia Tech
- Roberta Shapiro and Weizhe Shen
Please Note: BlueJeans link: https://bluejeans.com/609527728/0740
The main goal of manifold theory is to classify all n-dimensional topological manifolds. For a smooth 4-manifold X, we aim to understand all of the exotic smooth structures there are to the smooth structure on X. Exotic smooth structures are homeomorphic but not diffeomorphic. Cork twists, Gluck twists, and Log transforms are all ways to construct possible exotic pairs by re-gluing embedded surfaces in the 4-manifold. In this talk, we define these three constructions.